Last few weeks, Rodrygo was highly linked with a move to Manchester City. However, the winger now has a new job at Real Madrid under Xabi Alonso.
Since Alonso joined Real Madrid from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer, he has changed things at the Bernabeu. The 43-year-old is still trying to figure out what team will work best for him in 2025–26.
It looked like Rodrygo wasn’t going to be a part of the new Real Madrid coach’s plans during the FIFA Club World Cup and the first game of La Liga.
Tottenham is interested in Savinho, so Man City has Rodrygo on their list of players to replace him. However, it looks like the winger will stay in Madrid for now.
Rodrygo will be used to push Vinicius Junior at Real Madrid.
Rodrygo didn’t play in Real Madrid’s first game of the season against Osasuna last week, but Alonso showed some kindness by starting the 24-year-old over Vinicius Jr. on Sunday when Los Blancos went to Real Oviedo.
Even so, Rodrygo was very angry when he was taken off with 63 minutes left in the game. Vinicius, who came on in his place, scored and set up another goal.
After the game, it was said that Rodrygo told his managers to find him a new club. However, it doesn’t look like that will happen; according to Diario AS, the winger is set to stay in Madrid.
Man City is very interested in Rodrygo, but the report says that Real Madrid thinks the winger will stay with the club past Monday’s deadline.
This late in the transfer window, the La Liga club doesn’t think their €90m (£78m) asking price will be met. This has become clear to the Spanish giants in recent days.
In addition, Alonso has a new plan for Rodrygo. The new Madrid manager will use the winger to get Vinicius to step up, which worked against Oviedo on Sunday.
There are many things that could happen in the next week, but it looks like Rodrygo will stay at Real Madrid. As a result, Savinho will stay at Man City.
Rodrygo could still be signed by Man City.
Rodrygo hasn’t tried to leave Real Madrid this summer because the player is happy in Spain and would have believed that Alonso would change his mind about him.
The 24-year-old Brazilian started on Sunday, but it’s clear that he is not a key part of Real Madrid’s plans. He will likely spend most of the 2025–26 season on the bench.
Rodrygo’s chances of playing for Brazil at the 2026 World Cup will be greatly affected by this. The Real Madrid star may become aware of this in the next few days and request a transfer, as he would be sure to play at the Etihad Stadium.
This transfer story has a lot of moving parts, and it looks like it won’t end until the summer window closes.
Leave a Reply